Pages

Monday, February 3, 2014

February Spotlight: Jordan Locke

If you've ever wandered around Absolute Write, you might know Jordan. I kind of stalked her then forced her to do an interview. And allow me to review her book.

Soooo...if you see me on Absolute Write, beware! Mwah ha ha ha!

Anyway, she is the author of The Only Boy. I'm not going to say a ton about it because my review of her novel is on Wednesday, but I suggest going out and buying it. :) Just click on the picture to the side of this post.

Without further ado, I give you the incomparable Jordan Locke!

Were you always good at English? I teach ELA...so...watch it. LOL!
Honestly, English was not my best subject in school. Not even close. When I was younger, I never, ever thought I would someday be writing novels.

When did you decide to become a writer?
I had an idea for a scene for a book or movie, wrote a few pages and stuck it in a drawer. Four years later, while listening to a radio show about books, the ideas started coming, and I HAD to write them down. In a couple of weeks, I wrote the entire plot.

Do you write full-time or part-time?
I write at night and on the weekends. Most of us writers have day jobs.

Ha! Don't I know it! Do you work to an outline or plot, or do you prefer to just see where an idea takes you?
I have a very rough idea of a plot and characters and just start writing.

How long on average does it take you to write a book?
About a year—a few months for a first draft, and then six to nine months of editing.

Tell us about the cover and how it came about.
I’m a graphic designer in my day job, so I designed the cover myself. The idea, a graphic depiction of rows of females and only one male, came to me while I was writing the book. When I designed the cover, I added the teenage boy holding the page to give it a human touch.

How I wish I could be a graphic designer. Le sigh. Do you think that the cover plays an important part in the buying process?
Definitely. It’s a potential reader’s first impression. Of course, it’s the writing that’s going to convince them whether or not to buy the book.

How are you publishing this book and why?
My agent was unable to sell The Only Boy to major publishers (many of them had overfilled their quotas for dystopian novels), so I decided to publish it myself.

They missed the boat on that one because this is a fabulous novel. What would you say are the main advantages and disadvantages of self-publishing versus being traditionally published?
Advantages: You have more control when you self-publish, and you can get your book out really quickly. Disadvantages: You have to do everything yourself (design, edit, market, etc.), and your chance of success is much, much lower.

What advice would you give to aspiring writers?
Persistence is key. Keep reading, keep writing and keep learning about the craft.

Is there anything else you would like to add that I haven’t included?
Just to thank you so much for the interview.

Of course! Who wouldn't want to interview you? You rock! :) If you want to learn more about Jordan you can click here and here.

Come read the review Wednesday. And definitely stop on by Friday for a surprise. No. I didn't get an agent. It's more a surprise of the giftie variety.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this interview. The cover is different and caught my eye.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I adore this cover. As always, Angela, very awesome to have you stop on by because you're a pretty amazing author, too!

      Delete
  2. Hi! Awesome interview! I'm planning on self-publishing a novella at some point, so this was very helpful :)

    ReplyDelete